Fancy Rainbows for Everyday

10 February 2011 10:28 by SarainAkko
I have lamented before, but if you are new here you should know that my child is a "fancy" child. I'm learning to work with it.

After seeing a small strip of rainbow ribbon I'd been storing away in the stash, my 4 year old became wide eyed and full of delight.

"That's just like Fancy Mancy! It's like her headband!" 



Lo and behold, it was true. "Fancy Nancy, Every Day is Earth Day," features Nancy (or Mancy as she is known to us) with a rainbow headband. The kid already saw the supplies, how could her mother not agree to make one for her?

Alright crafty mom, now make it. Here's how.

 
Materials:
-18 inches of wide grosgrain rainbow ribbon
-4 inches of elastic tape (any fitting width or one rubber hairband)
-White felt scrap for cloud
-Rainbow assortment of embroidery floss
-Basics-scissors, needle, paper pencil

 Step 1). Draw a cloud shape and cut two from white felt.

Step 2). With white thread, stitch around the outside of your clouds.

Step 3). Draw interlocking hearts on one side of your clouds, break out the rainbow thread and start embroidering your pattern. Set aside for about 2 minutes to make headband.

Step 4). Measure your head to make sure it isn't much larger or smaller than my measurements. Press ends of ribbon about an inch (give or take) turning inward, *secure the elastic so that the final measurement of the headband will allow it to fit snugly on your head. Secure your embroidered cloud to side of headband.

*the elastic only peeks out a few inches at the bottom but should be strong enough to keep your hair back and the ribbon on your head.

Voila!


 This tutorial would probably work for any kind of ribbon to headband transformation but around here we are only concerned with rainbows and clouds as accessories like Mancy.

11 Response to "Fancy Rainbows for Everyday"

  1. Flower Girl Cotttage Says:

    Super Cute ! I love it, I hope you don't mind but I featured your project on my blog with a link back to you, thanks for sharing this fun project, I am going to try to make this and gift it to my grandaughter with a new Fancy Nancy Book
    http://flowergirlcottage.blogspot.com/p/free-pattern-favorites.html

  2. SarainAkko Says:

    Mind? I'm thrilled! Thanks for stopping by. My daughter is elated to be fancy and this is one of the better books in the collection for the un-fancy mother like myself.

  3. Anonymous Says:

    I Love your blog!!
    Great Akko stuff!

  4. The Domestic Yogi Says:

    Adorableness!! Hats off to you!

  5. April Says:

    Super cute! My dd calls her "ancy ancy"! I don't know if you saw on my blog but I will be posting free patterns. I am currently working on two I designed a while back, but after that I am going to be doing a whole "line" I guess inspired by fancy nancy. It will probably be about a month before I get started on it and I was going to keep it a surprise but what can I say? I can't hold water...that's what my mom is always telling me anyway...hehe Anyway, just thought you might be interested.

  6. Andrea@Addicted2Tutes Says:

    I have a bunch of girls in my classroom who LOVE Fancy Nancy...and my daughter is just being introduced. Thanks for the great idea!

  7. SarainAkko Says:

    Thanks for stopping by Andrea. I think this is the best of the possible Nancy accessories because it's a bit more down to earth. This might be simple enough to have your students learn to do it themselves.

  8. Mihaela { Best Toys 4 Toddlers } Says:

    Totally cute!

  9. SarainAkko Says:

    Why thank you, it is a winner around our house for both my 4yo girl and 2yo boy who has also chosen to be fancy.

  10. Brianna! Says:

    Fancy Nancy is soooooo cute
    gah I could spend FOREVER in BAM looking at Fancy Nancy.
    Sometimes I wish I were a little girl so I could actually do that, and get away with it....without people starring like I am a weirdo haha:)

    xoxo
    bB

  11. Unknown Says:

    So cute. Rainbows remind me of my childhood!

Post a Comment

It makes my day to hear from you so let me know what's on your mind. Chances are I'll probably even write you back. What can I say, I'm a people person.